Saturday, November 6, 2010

Local folks cheer me

I just rode my bicycle to the local convenience market, playing guitar while I ride as I am famous for. There were many people out in front of their houses because the weather is fairly nice today, and I was cheered by many people and groups of people as I rode by them.

Some people hadn't seen me before. I heard one guy say that to his companions with a big grin on his face. Other people were smiling and laughing because they had seen me before. Either way, I cheer them even as they cheer me. One of the best things about bicycle guitaring is bringing smiles to people's faces.

Encouraged, I went back out a short time later along the same route but this time with my battery-powered Pignose amplifier attached to the rear rack of the bicycle. As I passed one of the groups of people a woman said "Groovy." I said, "I haven't heard that for a while," and circled back around to chat with these people. Then she said, "Psychedelic."

I asked them if they wouldn't mind my playing a song for them, and they didn't. In keeping with the theme of the woman's remarks, I played the Beatles song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. A younger woman there sang along, then asked me if I could play any Pink Floyd, specifically asking for Wish You Were Here (the title track of their 1975 album).

I happen to know that song at least well enough to fake it, and played that while she sang along to that one too. Then I played an original instrumental tune of mine for them, and finished by playing my Evolution song.

I hope I made new friends: Taylor, Melinda ("Groovy") and Alexa ("Wish You Were Here").

No comments: