Sunday, May 9, 2010

Victory Through Air Power

Alexander P. de Seversky came from Russia to the United States after World War I. His airplane company made the first metal monoplane fighter with retractable landing gear for the United States Army Air Corps in the mid-1930s. He was a better pilot than he was a businessman though, and by the end of the decade the board of his own company replaced him.

In 1942, just a few months after Pearl Harbor, Seversky's book Victory Through Air Power was published. It was a best seller and made some impact on the American public concerning air power. I first read this book when I was a young boy. I have read it again several times since then, or at least portions of it.

Recently I started taking notes of specific claims made in the book about specific aircraft, ships and historical events. I checked some of these out according to modern sources and wrote an essay about it that I posted today on my web site as My thoughts on Seversky's book Victory Through Air Power. This is the first new post to the Studies section of my web site since 2004! This essay may be modified in days or weeks to come, but I posted what I have now as it is for what it's worth.

No comments: